Education and Career Pathways
• English language skills – classes include reading, writing, and speaking English
• General Education Diploma (GED) preparation – classes include Reading/Grammar/Writing, Math, Social Studies, and Science
Who We Serve
Education & Career Pathways serves adults 18 years of age and older. We also accept learners aged 16+ with an Alternative Learning Plan from their local high school. The program is open to people who work or live in East Providence, Bristol County, or Newport County.
Participants must be able to:
• Set appointments
• Get to class by private or public transportation
• Communicate with teachers and case managers
• Be ready and able to do schoolwork
EBCAP’s Education & Career Pathways is especially helpful to people who find regular classroom learning difficult. We provide learners with simple tools to help them get the training, schooling, or credentialing they need to better their economic situation.
Many of our English Language learners run small businesses, hold more than one job, or have significant family responsibilities. We respond in as many ways as we can to ensure that schooling fits into a learner’s busy life.
Our classes/trainings help learners in various ways.
• We help you learn to be a smart test taker: not only learning the content, but how the GED exam works and how best to manage your time during the test.
• Learners experience a mix of class time and independent study as both are important parts of the learning process.
• Learners work at their own pace with the help of teachers and support staff.
• Since many students request extra help with math, extended time for math review is built into all our evening GED-prep classes.
• We set up online accounts for learners and send them Zoom links to attend class.
The Program provides:
• Staff to help you identify and reach your goals
• Staff to help you find the career path that suits your interests, skills, and abilities
• Basic computer instruction
• Access to our computer lab
• Technical support
• Life skills coaching
We also offer trained volunteer tutors who help with one-to-one learning. Tutors meet with learners at local libraries or other public spaces throughout East Providence and Bristol, and Newport Counties. Learners can also get a tutor if they have enrolled in an English, GED, or job-training class. Currently, while these in-person services are suspended due to COVID-19 restrictions, tutors are providing online instruction.
Location(s) of the Program
Our office is located at:
Florence Gray Center
1 Shimoda Way
Newport, RI 02840
Hours of Operation
Our office is open by appointment only until further notice. Hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30am to 4:30pm. When calling please leave a message with your name and phone number and we’ll call you back to schedule an appointment.
How You Can Enroll
To register for GED class click: REGISTER HERE
If you need help with the online registration form, contact Marisa Henry at MHenry@EBCAP.org or at (401) 712-3192.
Once your online form is received, Marisa will call or email you to learn more about your goals and help you register for class(es).
How You Can Help
To learn how you can help, please visit the page for our volunteer arm, Literacy Volunteers of East Bay.