The Youth Center provides a comprehensive array of educational, vocational and wraparound support services for approximately 400 youth and young adults each year from the ages of 14-24 that live in the East Bay area. The program also offers leadership development and adult mentoring to support youth to achieve their educational and/or vocational goals. Partner agreements include satellite offices at high schools in East Providence, Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth, and Tiverton.
Who We Serve
The Youth Center helps youth acquire the support and services necessary to be successful. Services are highly individualized and may include short-term tutoring, in-depth work readiness training, placement in an internship with eventual placement in unsubsidized employment, or long-term occupational skills training. Youth Center participants must be Rhode Island residents between 14 and 24 years of age. Additionally, more intensive services are available through two specific funding sources. We receive DCYF funding for current and former foster care youth that come into care (even for one day) at or after the age of 16. EBCAP also receives support from Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funding, which is income dependent.
- Intake and assessment: application for services, vocational interest inventory, and academic assessment
- Job skills services: writing resumes, completing job applications, and conducting mock interviews
- Academic services: pre-GED instruction, remediation, and GED certification
- Contextual learning: how academic skills apply to the working world
- Case management: facilitation of services and referral to outside providers
- Follow-up services: guidance and counseling to ensure goals are achieved once services are completed
- Job readiness and work experience: placement and assistance in occupational skills training
- Summer Jobs Program
- Leadership Development Program
- Independent Living Skills Program
Location(s) of the Program
Hours of Operation
Hours at our locations vary, but general hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
How to Enroll
For more information on eligibility requirements, please contact a Youth Center listed below.
- East Providence: Colleen Conley, 401-477-6154
- Bristol-Warren: Steve Dolce, 401-692-2695
- Newport: Steve Dolce, 401-692-2695
How You Can Volunteer
The Youth Center needs placement sites for work-based learning placements. If you are a business owner, or know of business that can help, please contact one of the staff members listed above.
Additionally, the Youth Center is always looking for additional funds for youth wages, internships, and workshops. This allows us to place youth in supported subsidized employment placements where they can build their employability skills while being supported via support services and case management. Donations may be made online (note “Youth Center” in the comments) or by mailing a check marked “Youth Center” in the memo to: East Bay Community Action Program, Attn: Finance Dept., 19 Broadway, Newport, RI 02840.