Bristol Health Equity Zone
Who We Are
In the summer of 2021, East Bay Community Action Program became the backbone agency for the Bristol Health Equity Zone (HEZ) grant from the RI Department of Health (RIDOH). The Bristol Health Equity Zone, which was established in 2016, is a place-based initiative created to reduce and eliminate current health disparities and barriers to wellness. Through collaboration, we work to empower residents with the skills needed to create community change.
For more information visit, https://www.bristolhealthequityzone.org/
Community stakeholders play an important role in improving the health and wellness of their fellow neighbors and city residents.
Bristol residents and representatives from various community organizations have formed work groups to address the following initiatives:
- Personal Health and Wellness
- Physical Activity
- Substance Use, Awareness and Prevention
- Food and Nutrition
- Suicide Prevention
The collaborative is representative of the Bristol community and state-wide alliances. The Bristol HEZ values community input and buy-in.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Bayside YMCA
- Behavioral Health Link (BH Link)
- Benjamin Church Senior Center
- BHEZ Working Group Champions and Residents
- Bristol Parks and Recreation Department
- Bristol Police Department
- Bristol Prevention Coalition
- Bristol Rotary Club
- Bristol Warren Regional School District
- Bristol Warren Thrive by Five and Beyond
- Common Pub and Grille
- East Bay Community Action Program* Backbone Agency
- East Bay Food Pantry & Thrift Shop
- East Bay Recovery Center
- East Bay Regional Coalition
- Franklin Court Independent Living
- Franklin Court Independent Living
- Matthew Patton Foundation
- R.E.S.T. (Resources Education Support Together)
- Rhode Island Department of Health
- Roger Williams University
- Rogers Free Library
- Stone Coast Community Church
- Town of Bristol
We’re looking for members. We invite local residents, community organizations, and businesses to join our working groups. If you would like to be a part of this exciting project, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Areas of Focus
It is our hope that a focus on these action areas will help us continue the community work needed to address health inequities and build a stronger Bristol.
Education and Information Sharing
Increase community awareness of available resources across social, health, educational, and financial areas.
Develop neighborhood-based networks that can quickly respond to community needs and emergency situations.
Support Health and Wellness
Enhance the availability of programs and resources that support the needs of all residents and bolster physical activity, healthy relationships, and healthy eating habits.
Increase Access to Health Services
Reduce barriers to accessing health services, specifically mental and behavioral health.
Aims to increase reach and access to home-based young childhood education services to serve local families.
Roger Williams University Grant for Civic Activity
This grant supports a broad range of community projects and services coordinated by individuals and non-profit organizations that work toward enhancing the civic experience in the town of Bristol. In 2021, Bristol HEZ was awarded this grant to fund the Bristol Rally4Recovery.
The Bristol HEZ received funding to address outreach and education due to the on-going pandemic. If you or someone you know needs assistance, please contact us for resources. Also, visit www.helpisherebristol.com for more resources.
Reports and Assessments