Ocean State Senior Dining Program
Special Offering During COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
Given that seniors are encouraged to stay home, and the Centers for Disease Control are recommending social distancing of at least 6 feet, our meal sites have closed. Many seniors rely on this Monday through Friday meal. We are now doing boxed lunches, which include a sandwich of the day, fruit, milk and juice.
Our 10 sites, including our new to open site, Donovan Manor in Newport, will have volunteers who will deliver meals to seniors, or seniors can drive up and grab a lunch. Meal sites and phone numbers
These boxed lunches are for people aged 60/+ or disabled individuals. A reservation, made 24-hrs in advance with the meal site, is required. A suggested donation of $3.00 per boxed lunch will help to sustain the program.
All new meal site participants are required to complete a Personal Information Form which can be done over the phone when they make their reservation.
Who We Serve
The Ocean State Senior Dining Program (OSSDP) is a food assistance program that provides well-balanced catered meals five days a week to senior citizens and disabled individuals. While a suggested donation of $3.00 is appreciated, food is provided even if individuals cannot afford it.
The OSSDP serves senior citizens, disabled individuals, people over 60 years of age, and spouses. In addition to a hearty meal, nutritional resources including education and counseling are provided. Partnering sites of OSSDP not only provide nutritious meals for those who may only have access to one hot cooked meal per day, but they also provide stimulation and a sense of community for potentially frail elders and the disabled.
The OSSDP offers three choices: a hot entrée, a sandwich, or a salad option.
The program assists individuals by:
- Promoting healthy eating habits
- Encouraging individuals to eat locally grown foods
- Encouraging individuals to eat fresh fruits and vegetables
- Administering the Restaurant Meal Program
Vouchers are provided (at a suggested $5.00 donation) to order from pre-fixed menus at the following restaurants:
- Newport Creamery at 296 County Road, Barrington, RI
- Newport Creamery at 181 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI
- Newport Creamery at 208 West Main Road, Middletown, RI
- IHOP at 280 West Main Road, Middletown, RI
Restaurant Meal Program vouchers are available at:
- Barrington Cafe, 281 Old County Road, Barrington, RI
- Bristol Café, 1020 Hope St., Bristol, RI
- East Bay Community Action Program, 100 Bullocks Point Ave., Riverside, RI
- Portsmouth Cafe, 110 Bristol Ferry Road, Portsmouth, RI
- Warren Cafe, 20 Libby Lane, Warren, RI
Please Note: Certain locations may carry vouchers to only one of the two restaurants. Contact Ocean State Senior Dining Program at East Bay Community Action Program for more information, 401-437-1000 ext. 121. Note: vouchers must be used in the month of purchase.
Also check out our monthly meal calendar below.
Hours of Operation
Lunch is typically served between 11:30 A.M. and noon (varies by location). Please call at least 24 hours in advance to make a reservation.
How to Enroll
Contact your local senior center to enroll.
How You Can Volunteer
If you are interested in volunteering at a meal site, please contact the Senior Center directly.