COVID-19 Relief: Important Information
Changes to and Closures of EBCAP Services
Updated April 8, 2020
The following changes are in effect at East Bay Community Action Program until further notice:
- Food Pantries
East Providence and Newport are open. Although our Tiverton pantry is not able to receive customers on-site at this time, we will be delivering prepackaged bags of food to residents on Wednesdays. If you need assistance, please call and leave a message at 401-625-5134, ext 103.
Clients will be served by appointment only in Newport and East Providence to ensure safe distancing between clients. Effective March 18, all food will be pre-packaged, and employees will hand the bags to Food Pantry guests upon arrival.
In Newport call: 401-848-6697, ext. 212
Monday: 11:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Wednesday: Noon – 4:00 P.M.
Thursday: 1:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M.
In East Providence call: 401-437-0006, ext. 127
Monday: Noon – 4:00 P.M.
Tuesday: Noon – 4:00 PM
Wednesday: 2:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M.
Thursday: Noon – 4:00 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M. – Noon
- Family Center/Safety Net services Limited to telephone appointments only. Walk-in services are not available until further notice. This includes the following programs/services: Education and Career Pathways, Youth Centers, Senior Services, Victims of Crime Act (VOCA), and RI Works.
- LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) applications will be completed telephonically. Applications and documents need to be mailed to our office (EBCAP, 100 Bullocks Point Ave., Riverside, RI 02915). We will not accept applications in person or through our drop box. Documents will only be accepted by mail. For any questions, please contact 401-437-5102.
- Congregate Senior Meal Sites Bagged lunches will be available for pick up or delivery. For more information click here.
- VITA Tax Preparation Assistance Sites Closed and remaining appointments have been cancelled.
- Weatherization Services will be provided in emergency situations only.
- Newport/Middletown Child Opportunity Zone (COZ)
The Child Opportunity Zone’s before and after school programs in Newport and Middletown are suspended along with the Champion Childcare in Newport. Staff are handing out food bags daily, Monday through Friday, at the Pell Elementary School site to anyone who needs them. This is not limited to students enrolled in the backpack feeding program. Staff are also available at the Newport site to support both English and Spanish speaking families to access community resources and to participate in distance learning.
- HEAD START All EBCAP Head Start, Early Head Start and Pre-K classrooms are closed until further notice. While classrooms are closed and family visits have been suspended, EBCAP employees are here to support children and their families. During this unprecedented experience, our entire Head Start, Early Head Start and Pre-K workforce moved from a classroom and homebased service to a distance learning service. Family advocates are contacting families to “check-in,” provide information about local resources, and identify the most vulnerable and isolated. Educators are engaged in distance learning with families and their young children. Early Head Start and Head Start home visiting will be held telephonically. Head Start is taking applications for the summer and fall semesters. To apply in English click here or to apply in Spanish click here. Stay well, stay connected, and please contact us at 401-367-2001 if you need additional assistance.
- PARENTS AS TEACHERS and HEALTHY FAMILIES AMERICA All in person home visits for Parents as Teachers and Healthy Families America have been suspended at this time , Family visitors are continuing to provide all services remotely. This includes interactive video conference and phone home interaction, intakes and referrals.
Parents as Teachers- call Amy with questions: 401-302-9249; referrals to Parents as Teachers may be faxed to 401-324-6664
Healthy Families America -call Kristen with questions 401-602-5895; referrals to Healthy Families America should be faxed to 401-619-7091
- East Providence HEZ is working remotely and can also be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Al Whitaker at 401-480-5758. Detailed information about the collaborative can also be found at www.facebook.com/EastProvidenceHEZ.
- Health Centers PLEASE CALL FIRST! We remain open by appointment only. All appointments will be triaged by a nurse or provider and assessed to determine clinical needs. We are offering telemedicine visits! We are currently outreaching to patients to schedule to telephonic follow-up visits. If you do have an appointment, all patients will be greeted, screened, and triaged as appropriate at the entrances to buildings (see below). For a listing of our health sites and phone numbers click here.Health center employees will be screening all patients and clients at the entrances at 100 Bullocks Point Avenue, 19 Broadway, Newport, 6 John Chafee Blvd., Newport, Adams Farley Counseling Center, 610 Wampanoag Trail, Riverside, and John P. Digits Center, 2 Old County Road, Barrington. This includes WIC, Food Pantry, Health Services, and Family Services.Community Health Team
Limited to telephonic case management and therapy appointments only.
Navigators are available to assist with enrollment in health insurance plans or to resolve account issues and are working via conference calls only with HSRI.
Newport: 401-847-7821 x348
Riverside: 401-437-1000 option 3
EBCAP’s Dental Center, Newport, RI
We will be scheduling emergency patients only on Fridays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Behavioral Health ACCESS –ACCESS is booking telephonic intakes ONLY. NO in-person intakes.Tel:401-246-1195
- Behavioral Health Emergency Services Staff are working remotely but are available for in-person crisis evaluations. The 24/7 Emergency line always accessible. Tel:401-246-0700
- Outpatient Behavioral Health No in-person appointments are available. All therapy appointments are telephonic only for routine visits. Please call the location where you are normally seen to book appointments.
- Behavioral Health Community Support Services Hours remain unchanged. We continue to provide services in the office and community. Therapy and Psychiatry is predominately telephonic at this time. Tel:401-246-1195
- Our Suboxone clinic is open and accepting new clients Mon-Thurs 8-5 with same day medication. All appointments are being completed via telehealth.
Call 401-246-1195 to schedule a Suboxone intake appointment.
- The Recovery Center East Bay Recovery Center is currently closed for walk–in services and support groups, however, telephone Recovery Support Services are available. Current members will be called by their Peer Specialist during regular operating hours. We are working on virtual recovery support meetings and hope to have that in place shortly. If you currently do not have a peer specialist and a would like recovery support services, call 401-302-6231 and a peer specialist will be arranged for you. For more information visit our East Bay Recovery Center page. Drop-in Naloxone/Narcan distribution services will be available Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Both intramuscular and nasal kits are available and free of charge to the public.
WIC is currently open for scheduled appointments only from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm (no evening hours) for certification appointments and for issuance of benefits, or new e-WIC cards over the phone, at 100 Bullocks Pt. Ave., East Providence, 50 Franklin St., Bristol, and 6 John Chafee Blvd., Newport. New e-WIC cards will be mailed once certification and/or activation has occurred. Recent health information required for certifications can be obtained from clients’ physicians. Since the Tiverton site is closed, those clients regularly served in Tiverton will be served by staff at the 6 John Chafee Blvd., Newport site.
Clients should continue to contact us by phone. Clients who have not yet been issued the new e-WIC cards or who are looking to apply for services should also call our office. Please note this is all subject to change.
WIC East Providence: 401-437-1007
WIC Bristol: 401-253-7577
WIC Newport: 401-619-5970