COVID-19 Relief: Important Information
Changes to and Closures of EBCAP Services
Updated January 27, 2021
The following changes are in effect at East Bay Community Action Program until further notice:
EBCAP Family Health Services will provide testing for COVID-19 for our patients and the community by appointment only. Please call the office to schedule a telehealth appointment with a provider to assess the need for testing. In an effort to support individuals as they self-quarantine, people who come for testing may also receive non-perishable food at the testing site at the time of their test appointment. Please inquire if interested.
East Providence provides testing in a drive-thru tent for both symptomatic and asymptomatic patients/members of the community:
- Location: 100 Bullocks Point, Riverside, RI 02915; Modular Unit in parking lot
- Phone: 401-437-1008
- Hours: Tuesday through Friday from 9am-12pm by appointment only
- Notes for Testing: When you arrive to the parking lot, you will be greeted by a parking attendant. Please remain in your car with your car windows up. Place your ID up to the window and the greeter will provide further instruction.
Newport provides testing at our health center for both symptomatic and asymptomatic patients/members of the community:
- Location: 6 John H Chafee Blvd, Newport, RI 02840
- Phone: 401-848-2160
- Hours: Tuesday through Friday from 9am-12pm by appointment only
- Notes for Testing: Please park in the health center parking lot. When you exit your vehicle, you will follow the signs directing you down a short path between the health center building and the neighboring Head Start building. When you reach the modular unit, you will be greeted by staff who will confirm your identification and complete the test.
- Health Centers. We remain open by appointment only. Please call first. We are limiting non-urgent visits due to concerns for employee and patient safety. We are providing telephone and virtual visits for our patients and clients. If you do have an appointment, you will be greeted, screened, and triaged as appropriate at the entrances to buildings (see below). For a listing of our health sites and phone numbers click here. Health center employees will be screening all patients and clients at the entrances at 100 Bullocks Point Avenue, 19 Broadway, Newport, 6 John Chafee Blvd., Newport, and John P. Digits Center, 2 Old County Road, Barrington. This includes Food Pantry, Health Services, and Family Services.
- Community Health Team. Telephonic case management and limited in-person visits are available.
- Navigator Assistance. Navigators are available to assist with enrollment in health insurance plans or to resolve account issues and are working via conference calls and in-person visits.
- Newport: 401-847-7821 x348
- Riverside: 401-437-1000 option 3
- Women Infants & Children (WIC). Currently open and scheduling telephone appointments for existing and new clients. Clients should continue to contact us by phone leaving a brief message, including their name and phone number. Staff will be checking these messages throughout the day and will return calls as soon as possible. Clients who have not yet been issued the new e-WIC cards or who are looking to apply for services should also call our office. WIC is accepting new clients.
- WIC East Providence: 401-437-1007
- WIC Bristol: 401-253-7577
- WIC Newport: 401-619-5970
- WIC Tiverton: call Newport for assistance 401-619-5970
As of August 4, 2020 the food substitutions are no longer allowed or necessary for WIC in Rhode Island. Participants should use the RI WIC Food Guide for guidance. Please click the discontinued list of substitutions for complete list:
WIC will no longer be issuing Farmers Market checks as of 9/30/2020. However, WIC Farmers Market checks usage has been extended through November 21, 2020 even though the checks state “Last date to use: October 31, 2020.”
- Dental Center. Offering telemedicine visits on Wednesdays and scheduling emergency patients only on Fridays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Behavioral Health Services
- Behavioral Health ACCESS. ACCESS is booking in-person intakes. Call 401-246-1195 for intake.
- Behavioral Health Emergency Services. Staff are available for in-person crisis evaluations. The 24/7 Emergency line is always accessible. Call 401-246-0700 for psychiatric emergencies.
- Outpatient Behavioral Health. All therapy sessions are available in-person and via telehealth. Please call the location where you are normally seen to book appointments.
- Behavioral Health Community Support Services. Hours remain unchanged. We continue to provide services in the office, community and telephonically. At this time, we are limiting office based in-person appointments in favor of telehealth. In person appointments will be scheduled on a case by case basis. We are currently accepting clients for all community based Community Support Services. Call 401-246-1195 for intake.
- Suboxone Clinic. Open and accepting new clients Monday-Friday 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. with same day medication. Intakes are in-person. Call 401-246-1195 to schedule a Suboxone intake appointment
- East Bay Recovery Center. We’re excited to announce East Bay Recovery Center has re-opened as of June 8, 2020. For complete details visit our East Bay Recovery Center webpage. Please note: Although East Bay Recovery Center will be closed on December 24th and 25th, it will continue to be available per our Peer Recovery Hotline. On December 25th we will have a Virtual Recovery A Thon with virtual All Recovery Meetings at 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4 pm and 6pm.
- Food Pantries. People can access our food pantries twice per month, instead of once per month, for the foreseeable future due to the crisis. Clients will be served by appointment only to ensure safe distancing between clients. All food will be pre-packaged, and employees will hand the bags to food pantry guests upon arrival.
Newport Pantry, by appointment only; for appointment call 401-848-6697, ext. 212
Monday: 11:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Wednesday: Noon – 4:00 P.M.
Thursday: 1:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M.
*East Providence Pantry, by appointment only; for appointment call 401-437-0006, ext. 127
*Temporary Hours, subject to change; please check website for updates.
Monday: 8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Wednesday: 8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.– Noon
Tiverton Pantry, for appointment call 401-625-5134, ext 103
Tuesday: 9 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
Wednesday, 9 A.M. – 5:30 P.M.
- Family Development/Safety Net services. Limited to telephone appointments only. All programs continue to accept referrals. Walk-in services are not available until further notice. This includes the following programs/services: Education and Career Pathways, Youth Centers, Baby Steps, Senior Services, Victims of Crime Act (VOCA), SHIP counseling, RI Works, and housing supports. All Family Development programs continue to provide case management support telephonically. Educational services are continuing remotely.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). LIHEAP is open for the 2021 season as of October 1, 2020. Applications will be completed telephonically. Applications and documents need to be mailed to our office (EBCAP, 100 Bullocks Point Ave., Riverside, RI 02915). Documents will only be accepted by mail. Please call 401-437-5102 for any questions or to apply. Go to the LIHEAP page.
- Congregate Senior Meal Sites. Bagged lunches for seniors and disabled individuals will be available for pick up or delivery. For more information click here.
- Weatherization. Services will be provided in emergency situations only.
- Newport/Middletown Child Opportunity Zone (COZ). Licensed childcare began at the Pell Elementary School site on the first day of in-person school on September 15, 2020 and is open for both morning and after school care. The Walking School Bus also began on the first day of school and provides a safe, supervised walk to school. Family Service Coordinators are supporting students and families with information and resources. Food bags are distributed to approximately 100 students weekly to take home on the weekends . After School programs will begin in Newport and Middletown in November. Programs will be held in a virtual format.
- Head Start. Head Start and State funded Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K) classrooms are open for the 2020-2021 school year. Head Start classrooms are open for in-person learning in all six sites, including one in Newport, one in Middletown, two in East Providence, one in Warren, and one in Tiverton. Early Head Start (EHS) infant/toddler classrooms are open for in-person learning in Newport at 8 John H. Chafee Blvd, and in East Providence at 386 Willett Ave. Home Visitors are providing services to eligible children (0-5) and pregnant moms remotely; outside home visits are offered on a limited basis, weather permitting. EBCAP is accepting applications for Head Start and Early Head Start. Families may choose in-person classroom learning or remote learning services from a Head Start or Early Head Start Lead Teacher. To apply in English click here or to apply in Spanish click here. There are also a limited number of spots in our Pre-K classrooms located in East Providence, Newport, and Middletown. Children must be 4 years old as of September 1st and must reside in one of the listed communities. Stay well, stay connected, and please contact us at 401-367-2001 if you need additional assistance. Please leave a message with your name and phone number and we will get back to your as soon as we can.
Head Start Resources List
- Parents as Teachers (PAT) & Healthy Families America (HFA). Starting the week of September 14, 2020, PAT and HFA will be providing some limited in-person outdoor only visits, as long as weather permits. Family visitors will continue to provide services remotely for families who would like to continue to have remote only visits. Remote services include interactive video conference and phone home interaction, intakes, and referrals.
- Parents as Teachers. Contact Amy Griffin at 401-302-9249; Fax referrals to 401-324-6664.
- Healthy Families America. Contact Kristen Roache at 401-602-5895; Fax referrals to 401-619-7091
- The Baby Steps Newport Program holds Saturday morning and Thursday evening sessions via Zoom. Saturday sessions are held at 9 a.m., and Thursday evening sessions are held at 4 p.m. The program is actively enrolling Newport County families with a child/children aged newborn to 3 years to participate. There are no income requirements. New families that would like to sign up should call Mishana Boyark, B.A., M.S .Ed, Baby Steps Coordinator, at 401-490-1380 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Free diapers, wipes, books, and craft supplies will be available for contactless drop off or pick up one week before the Zoom programs for enrolled families.
- East Providence Health Equity Zone (HEZ). Working remotely and can also be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Al Whitaker at 401-480-5758. Detailed information about the Collaborative can also be found on their Facebook page. We are responding to COVID-19 by providing, masks, COVID-19 education and resources, and making referrals to support services within EBCAP and the greater East Providence community. For more information contact Robin Covington at 401-490-1152.
- Youth Center – The EBCAP Youth Center is currently taking applications for year-round services including, but not limited to: GED, work readiness/ financial literacy training, work based learning opportunities and support services. Please note that all in-person services, such as GED, have very limited capacity due to COVID-19 restrictions. Youth, ages 14-24 residing in Rhode Island are eligible. If interested, please call 401-954-8336.